“My dear Esteban is forever thrusting at this and at that. He used to be a fencing instructor.” – Don Luis Quintero, “The Mark of Zorro,” 20th Century Fox, 1940
Although Boomers are the ones with most of the disposable income (70 percent in the U.S.), Gen Yers, also known as the Millennial Generation,are the biggest spenders (82 percent of their income). And Gen Yers will spend longer.
It is estimated that there are roughly 1.8 billion Millennials on the globe today; and while you may look down on them right now, by 2025 they’ll comprise 75 percent of the workforce.
“I think we can do nothing to stop the march of time.” Capt deBoeldieu, “La Grande Illusion,”Réalisation d'art cinématographique (RAC) , 1937
At FMS (Flash Memory Summit), I heard a lot of techie discussions on the inner workings of flash; but to me, what’s more important is what it will do for customers – business and individuals. So I looked forward to the session on Flash Is a Key to Augmented Reality on Wearables.
It was great by the way; but in the middle of it, Intel’s Chris Croteau stated that he wished people would quit making AR/VR (augmented reality/virtual reality) one word.
They’re different … trust me.
“Let's just say you're being closely watched.” – Evan at 7, “The Butterfly Effect ,” New Line Cinema, 2004
A few weeks ago, I had to visit my friendly smartphone store.
I could do everything – send/receive texts, send/receive emails, access/use business and social media apps – everything but make a phone call.
The person at the phone store said it was probably a bad SIM (subscriber identification module) card. The card was replaced and BAM! I could make/receive calls.
“You can't bluff someone who's not paying attention.” - Mike, “ House of Games,” Filmhaus, 1987
I didn’t know I was so bad off and I certainly didn’t know I have so many money making opportunities!
In the past few weeks, I’ve been notified that:
- If I don’t pay my taxes, I’m heading for jail.
- My system needs to be updated but a simple click will make the problems go away.
- I will soon face foreclosure on my home.
- I need to update some of my paid-for phone apps by visiting several sites.
- My car warranty is about to run out.
- A couple in England won the lottery and want me to have $1M.
- A guy with a name similar to mine named me as his sole beneficiary.
- A woman dying of thyroid cancer found religion and wants me to distribute her fortune to humanitarian causes.
- I have unspeakable things in my gut but…there’s a simple way to get rid of ‘em.
- A number of stores and banks have asked me to verify orders and withdrawals.